Tuesday, June 17, 2014


Well, here I go. I was realizing the other day that I'm probably going to just review (or praise) the soundtracks I really like, which probably isn't fair to everyone else. That doesn't mean I'm going to go watch movies simply to hear the music, and listen to every single soundtrack that comes out (I'd have a lot of catching up to do!) but I'll try to listen to the soundtracks I'm not so fond of. For now, I will start off with a soundtrack I know pretty well.
How to Train Your Dragon (2010) by John Powell. I should probably do stars: *. That's my star and I give this soundtrack *****, which will be my highest rating unless I really have to give a soundtrack more than that, which is quite possible with this one. And by the way, I'll be doing overall review rather than individually analyzing the tracks, unless something really catches my interest.
I'd have to say that this soundtrack is probably one of the best ever made. It has an adventure that is rare and difficult to capture. It has life and it enjoys it. It's like the perfect soundtrack for a dog- I often think of it in connection with my dog, because it's playful, adventurous, unique and- at least for me- there's a definite note of loyalty, courage and unashamed life. That last thing is especially something I like about it- how unashamed it is about itself, it's not apologetic and, more importantly, the music plays out the themes and tunes to their fullest and strongest.
I love how soundtracks, whether the composers realize it or not, seem to capture the character of something in the movie. And in this case, with the boldness and joy, the music captures the wildness of the dragons and you feel a deeper emotion that isn't necessarily revealed in the movie, of the creatures loving to live, flying powerfully through the sky and defiant of any trouble that would cripple a human.
And there is obviously Hiccup's storyline, and the music captures that as well. A more playful, delicate side. The music, though bold, is never really abrasive. You certainly get a sense of the boyish, Viking mentality and character- it's that feeling of wanting to jump out of your seat and, more or less singing with the music, run around the house, leaping off furniture and spinning round and round.
The importance of music in a movie is that it brings out something. Sometimes it emphasizes it, sometimes it reveals a layer that you wouldn't know anything about. This is the case with most soundtracks, this one included.
As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, John Powell uses Method 2. There is obviously a theme involved here, but the last few tracks bring it out completely. These characters are already established, but there is a side tune of a wilder kind that implies something new and powerful will change everything- such as the idea that dragons are not strictly dangerous. The most important, triumphant track (Coming Back Around) greatly proves that what is true and living, a mentality of adventure and boldness, will prevail and come back around in the end. It's a new chance, joined with the old way of living, that is now stronger and cannot be defeated.  
It's the closest you'll come to the sound of flying freely in the sky. The music to How to Train Your Dragon is one of those soundtracks that seem to talk. Have you ever heard someone speaking in a different language and you know it isn't nonsense? It makes sense, even if you don't understand it. That's the way I feel with music sometimes, as though the music is speaking a language I don't understand, and this soundtrack is one of those kinds.
John Powell was nominated for an Oscar for this soundtrack. Unfortunately for me Hans Zimmer was also nominated for an Oscar for his soundtrack to Inception (2010) and that's a soundtrack I really like too. I would want either one of them to win-  Social Network (2010) actually won- but I have no idea which. However, as I said at the beginning, How to Train Your Dragon is one of a kind. I think it is one of the best soundtracks ever to be made.

No comments: