Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Continued Study of Subject Themes

I think Subject themes will have to work for the last topic I was talking about. I wish I could give a summary of that, for the convenience of the reader, but you may as well just read the last post. I will do my best to further describe the topic by getting into it right now.
I will study the use of music in a scene that's tragic. Now a tragic scene is likely to happen just about anywhere, on several different levels. There are several good tragic scenes in the Lord of the Rings movies, as well as in Toy Story 3, but their completely different movies, context, ideas even emotions. But both movies had tragic scenes and there was tragic music to go along with it. 
I don't think I can go into what similarities there are between the two movies scores and what was being played. I would have to understand it better myself first. But I am a writer and I can describe scenes easier and by describing scenes I can describe the music.
So what is tragedy? It's a specific form of sadness. It's a sadness of losing something and when you think about something in your life that's very dear to you and you've lost it, you know just how strong an emotion descriptor 'tragedy' is. It's powerful but at the same time it's weakening. You feel as though all your life and energy has been drained.
As you can imagine, if there was music being made for such a feeling, it would have to be quite specific. And consider what kinds of tragedy there is. Using the examples I did before, Toy Story 3's tragedy requires something more innocent, simple, less drastic. In that movie, it tells a story of a young man letting go of his childhood 'imaginary' friends, only letting go enough to let their adventures go on with another child. It's the sort of tragedy that has promise of going on. You know that although you won't see or hear about the adventures someone is having, you know they are still out there. You're sad that they're no longer a part of your life, but they're still out there. 
On the other hand, Lord of the Rings has a tragedy that is quite often to the point where you don't know if there is any hope and if things will go on. Good people die or suffer, there is parting and desperation. Obviously this calls for a different kind of tragedy that is completely overpowering.
Now, I said at the beginning of my last post that I would like to get into these emotion themes (another good name) when I am describing a soundtrack. And I think that is the only way I can go on with this topic, by theorizing why a composer used a certain progression or instrument in some scene. For instance, in the movie Independence Day (1996) when the aliens have unleashed their weapons on earth and various cities are being destroyed, the music in that scene is somewhat different from the music in similar scenes from other movies. It's a crucial scene, similar to coming to a high point in the mountains where you can look around and see where you've been and where you will go, as well as far off places that you can't possibly reach. Every story must have such a scene. And in that scene in Independence Day, the music is required to explain- to show- the viewers the emotion of the movie.
Now the music in that scene is pretty much an extension of the alien theme, that is threat, danger, grimness and last time I saw the movie I couldn't help but wonder why the composer (David Arnold) did that sort of music. In a way it doesn't seem to fit, especially as that scene is coming to an end. It feels almost as though you've come to the end of an adventure, but for some reason it keeps going, and it feels quite unnatural. But that is what it's actually supposed to do. 
It's interesting, sometimes music is supposed to feel wrong. It's supposed to make people feel things that aren't really comfortable and doesn't make sense. And that's what the music in that scene in Independence Day is supposed to do. It's supposed to make you feel as though, as awful as this turn of events is, whole cities being destroyed and people being killed, it is not going to end there. The aliens will not be satisfied with just that, and that's what the music is saying. 
The movie's storyline is what shapes the soundtrack. The music in that scene in Independence Day probably wouldn't have worked at all in something like Dark Knight (2008), because the storylines and characters are completely different.
So this is how I'm going to get further into my studies of emotions in music, and how they are expressed. I feel like I may as well say that, rather than 'reviewing' soundtracks I am studying them sense I hate to critique things (unless it's by accident)        

No comments: